Friday, April 22, 2011

The shelter to Routeburn Falls

Well started the day early catching a Tracknet bus with about 10 other hikers, three of whom were husbands escaping the quilting frenzy. Their wives waved them off and greeted me with "Oh my God its a lady doing it!". Not sure if I qualify as a lady, but these guys were really nice and looked out for me the whole way ( I was actually faster so I looked out for them to!).

Of course I was feeling sick with nerves and self doubt, the internet wouldn't work so I couldn't do a last check in to say I was on my way, and it forecast rain! But by 10 am we were off loaded at The Shelter and underway.

The track was very nicely graded and the weather cool but clear, and immediately we were in mossy beech forest.


 I always find the first half hour the hardest, as your legs warm up and you get your pack set. Luckily this track followed the river so every five minutes you had a reason to pause from walking and look.

 The trees and ferns were lovely, and after the first five minutes I was on my own to enjoy it. Lord of the rings moments were happening already.

After about an hour I reached Routeburn flats, which was  a lovely grassy area which the river ran through. The first hut was here but I was going on to the second, so kept walking.

 Everywhere there was moss and beautiful trees and bird noises.
 After the flats it was an hour of steady climbing ( 300m in 3 km) and the rain was approaching, so I puffed steadily along. My legs felt good, but as usual the pack gets heavier when you climb.
Arrived suddenly to the magnificent hut and was rewarded with a great view of the valley from which I'd come.
 The rain set in soon after, so I had a nice nap in my bunk ( this hut had 48 bunks, flushing toilets and gas burners, so it was luxury!) Then a nice dinner ( dehydrated meat and vegies!) on the deck with this as my view!
So day one ended with no sore feet, or forgotten gear, And missing the rain. But it came down in buckets all afternoon and is predicted to get heavier.

No comments:

Post a Comment