Sunday, April 17, 2011

Queenstown

Well here I am in not so sunny Queenstown, getting ready for my Routeburn track adventure. As usual , when I am about to do a hike, snow has come early, so everyone is talking about it. Ive spent the day preparing, and trying to calm my nerves!

It started with a good omen yesterday when I landed and was greeted by a lovely rainbow.

Bit of a "magic happens" moment, as I had a rainbow when I left Iceland, and one when I got home to Greghamstown.

Queenstown is small,only 10,000 people,  in a valley with mountains all around and on a lake.


I had a nice stroll through the Botanic Gardens, where all the autumn colours are really nice.

 Even found some flowering crocus, which I have always wanted to grow.


Then I have just been doing chores, which include shopping at Outside sports ( my fav icebreaker online store) which is only a couple of doors down from the Central hostel.  The town is full of a mix of young kids doing adventure sports, and women of a certain age who are here for a global quilting bee... hilarious.

Im hoping for nice weather, but think i will have at least one day of walking in snow. But it is Lord of the Rings territory so what do I expect...

1 comment:

  1. Central Otago looks beautiful in your photos Margie. Walk like you own that darn Routeburn Track! Have an enormous amount of fun you rugged adventurer.
    Merelyn :-)

    ReplyDelete