Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fiji 2012 - Lautoka to rakiraki, Jan 3

Had a late check out so time for Kate and I to have brecky, a walk into town as recognizance, and a swim. 


 I even did a little exercise on the way, and no my feet are not still on the ground, it just looks that way!!!


The locals were up early fishing and just hanging out


Then we were all up and off for the hard job of buying food for the villa. This always stresses me as I have to figure out the money ( a Fiji $ is about 50 to 60 c Australian), and also what food is what. It was also very very hot, so the idea of how to refrigerate for our two hour drive was an issue. Blue eskys were F$256, so way too much.

We ended up having a great shop, the markets were amazing, with heaps of lovely cheap fruit and vegies, all in piles to show what you got for a dollar or two. And heaps and heaps of amazing spices ( again the Indian influence!). But very little dairy ( I guess as no refrigeration) and no bacon !!! OMG, this is going to be a test!!!





I had heard that Fiji was a really friendly place, but finally realised that a lot of the Bula’s( welcome) were so enthusiastic as I was walking with a beautiful 21 year old!!

After a nice lunch in an air-conditioned cafe we headed off. Driving is on the left hand side of the road, so it was pretty easy. Lots of pot holes though, and speed bumps that would stop a semi, let along our little Hyundai!!



We were heading north along the Kings Road which hugged the coast line and passed through lots of little villages. To the right were really nice green volcanic mountains, very Jurassic Park. Looking at the families out under the shade of trees next to their houses made me realise how spoilt we are (and thank God for that!). Fiji has the most colourful clothes lines I have ever seen, every little shack had twenty items in twenty colours out to dry!!

We drove for 2 hours and it was quiet remote, no towns or resorts. Then we came finally to our villa on the Sunshine Coast, just near the town of Rakiraki.



 Kate had outdone herself with this selection!! Pool, view, ocean so close, visible reef for snorkelling.


My room, or the master room which always makes me giggle!!


The enormous kitchen and living area,


View from the kitchen to our outdoor eating area over the pool,


First swim


Testing the hammock outside my room


And now testing the banana chairs,


The gazebo in the garden below the pool, overlooking the reef



Tom cooked us a beautiful meal of steak and we enjoyed it on the cool of the deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment