Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fiji 2012 – rainy start, massage, and dinner cooked in villa by Manju - Fri feb 6

Today the weather went from rain to sunshine  and back again all day. We had a quiet morning reading, swimming, and generally lazing about.  My cooking skills haven’t improved any with the change in location, so my tuna rissoles for lunch fell apart!!

 

We are all in the wars a little health wise, Tom is recovering from pre trip sunburn, Kate has had bad stomach cramps and now has a spreading sore on her forearm, and since the day we arrived I have had a really bad rash on my arms, which I think may be a photosensitive reaction to all the shingles drugs I was taking!!! Phenergan and ice pack are not really helping, it is sooo itchy!!!


Tom and I learnt something new about snorkelling, that when there are waves you get tossed around!! So we didn’t stay out long. Kate watched from the gazebo and told us how silly it looks from above when people snorkel!!





In the afternoon Kate and I enjoyed our first trip to the Spa at Wananavu. My massage was lovely, as only massages by very generously proportioned Polynesian women can be. Kate had a sugar scrub and came out all soft and new, her beach walk while waiting for me was cancelled by downpour, but its so warm that it doesn’t really matter if you get wet because you aren’t cold.

Tom stayed home to be with Marju as she cooked our dinner. 


Roti, Fish Curry, dhal, and vegetable samousa.  Enough to feed us for days, and really really nice. Kate got lessons in making the roti and samousa’s! I got an attack of the guilts after laying in bed past passage while Manju cooked, so I drove her home afterwards. It makes me realise how privileged I am, she is putting her first of 3 daughters through uni, lives in a very modest house, and comes and cooks and cleans for us on holidays.

We finished the day with more swims and reading, this sure is a relaxing place. With the time difference I am up at sunrise ( 6 here, 4 at home) and in bed soon after dark ( 8 30 here, only 6 30 at home). I predict that my weird sleeping will be even worse when I get home.



No comments:

Post a Comment