Tuesday, October 11, 2016

It's not the end of the earth, but it's close

After 24 hours of travel the touch down at Punta Arenas, Chile was a welcome relief. My first impressions were good, as this was and perhaps still is a rich region, so that airport was nice! Western toilets, toilet paper, and hand soap, oh the luxury !

Met a nice guy on the plane who was off to the walk the O walk in Torres del Paine, I'm now regretting my lack of training will proven me from doing a big walk. Oh why do I let work get in the way of my real life ambitions ?

 The official taxi into town was fine ( you are recommended here to only use the government sanctioned taxis), and the lovely Hostal Beuna Estacnia is super clean and warm. So I think two days have passed of walking town and sleeping.


Being a day behind and 14 hours hours time difference, the fact that everything is in Spanish with few English  subtitles, and the shops open at some random time and frequency that I am yet to understand, means that I feel a little foggy.

Delights include the local beer, which is very cheap ($3 bottled served in a cafe, and sold in supermarkets), the fact that picture on the label is where we head to camp ( sorry not this label as I picked a dark beer), and the availability of peanut M and Ms :)


Downside is that no one seems to serve real coffee!!! Where is the UN when you need them!! It's all Nescafé, and as I haven't yet been able to find an open shop to buy fuel for my camp stove I can't even brew my own. This situation could become dangerous if it persists. And could that perhaps be contributing to my feeling of fogginess?

On the bright side, a visit  to the local cemetery was amazing, with magnificent groomed lines of conifers, and amazing crypts, I even found margarita lane . 


As Punta Arenas is home to explorers, the statues is Magellan abound. I even kissed his toe for good luck! The history here is incredible, think not only Magellan but Shakelton. You can feel the strength of the wind, and as I get a sense of the geography you can imagine how brave there men were.


Next steps , Pick up a hire car and off to Torees del Paine.

1 comment: