Monday, February 10, 2014

Mamas birthday

Today is mums birthday, always a special day. I'm sad that I don't have my brooch to wear, the ones that we all wore at the funeral, but I know Gai will be wearing hers.

Another magic sunrise 


Then to Wat Prom, a large Buddhist pagoda. It is very popular with locals. I didn't take photos, as it doesn't feel right, but I sat for an hour and thought of Mama and watched people. The temple is cared for by a man, he removes the food offerings which locals bring at an astounding rate. Bananas, jackfruit, grapes, and other I can't name.


Latter I wondered where that food went.

The pattern is that you climb up many steps, enter the inner temple, kneel in pray for a while, then place you offering before the Buddha statues. Then you light your incense sticks from the candles burning at the feet of the statue. Some light bunches of sticks, and wave the incense smoke around. One poor man got greedy a lit a big heap, which caught fire and he eventually had to leave, much to the quiet mirth of the older ladies.

As I left I had question answered. I had seen people on mopeds with cages if sparrows, and wondered what they were for. Well here they were, being sold to people leaving the pagoda, who then held then and whispered wishes to them and let them go. It was charming.


As I descended the many levels of gardens I sat again, and thanked my lucky stars that I had Nellie as my mum.




1 comment:

  1. ......and we join you in thanking our lucky stars for such a darling in our lives and now our precious Lachlan Noel who just wanted to share her day

    ReplyDelete