Saturday, February 1, 2014

Temples, part one. Banteay Srei, or The Womens Citadel

Yesterday, after my morning mediation and yoga, I headed off in a lovely air-conditioned car for my temple visits.  Given how much you hear about them I was a bit worried about the day living up to expectations.

My driver was the brother of the retreat owners wife ( got that ?), a lovely young Cambodian man. The almost hour long trip out went very quickly with him explaining about his life and answering my questions about things as we drove through the countryside.

The reason that we had to drive was that I wanted to visit the small temple, Banteay Srei,  which means Citadel of Women. I was so glad that I made the effort.

On arrival Dara produced cool water bottles from the esky, and we arranged a meeting place for when I had finished. This is an amazing way to tour, as you are able to just go as quickly or slowly as you like. I felt a bit like the queen !

They have cleverly kept the tourist facilities away, so you walk along a wide path to the temple.


The temple is the smallest of the temples available for visit. Built in 967AD, it is made of pink stone and has the most ornate carvings.  


You can see how the jungle has been cleared for the temple to be made. I can only imagine how it was for the first Europeans who discoverd them.


It's hard to explain the feeling you have when you look at this amazingly delicate workmanship that was done so long again. It definitely gives you goose bumps. I can imagine how much more significant it would be if you understood all the symbols and religious significance.


It contains inner and outer rooms, so you have numerous doorways and alcoves to view through.


Moosie was impressed too, although a bit cranky that I had forgot his hat. And I know I am looking like the daggiest tourist lady every, but with no washing machine and needing to be covered, I ended up in a hippie pant and samba shoes combo, with an old lady hat, and very bad bra. This outfit is strictly for overseas only.



Back to things almost as scarey as my fashion sense. The detail in the carvings is amazing, I'm not sure how they ever carved so delicately in what is obviously very hard stone.  Lots of the characters and creatures are quiet wild, representing mythical beasts and tortured humans.



But many are also incredibly beautiful. They tell stories which are from the Ramayana, which is one of the great Hindu epics.


This was my favourite.


I managed to find a shady spot with my back against a wall and a view of the small ponds which surround the temple. How could you not feel blissed out?



As it was Chinese New Year, it was a public holiday and many Khmer families were visiting the temples. It is so special to see families picknicking beside these ancient structures.

1 comment:

  1. Hi you fashionista you!!! Just loving the stylish hat and big smile. Cambodia has definitely been added to our trip list.

    ReplyDelete