Friday, October 26, 2012

Day 11 - Jhindu Danda to Deralie

Last night was a real treat because we had only 2 in a room, and our own bathroom!! now no hot water, but a toilet without an outside trip is pretty special!

Even Alaskans and Canadians want a photo with Moosie!


No coffee for me since I got sick, its hot water with mint, and sugar.



The view from the mess hall was fabulous, back up to Annapurna.




Started the day with a a very steep hour down to the river, and then crossed the biggest suspension bridge yet, about 100 m across and 350 m above the river. Yikes! No matter what you do, once you are past half way and walking up you get that weird wobble happening! Glad to be across.




We then entered what could only be described as paradise. I was amazed that we could see anything new, but this river flat with so many flowers and butterflies was like the garden of Eden. We climbed gently through beautiful rice terraces for most of the day.



This is my usual look. I had forgot to mention that on the second day when my red hat came out Saru, our guide, took me aside and told me that for Nepali women red underwear or hats are the sign of sexiness. So henceforth I was know as the sexy woman! ( well, can you blame them?). Even the village women serving us tea and lunch would comment!




We passed many places where the goats were being butchered for the festival. And also saw the construction of many high swings which seem to be part of the celebration, and look really cool!

It then ended with a bitching 1 hour climb up a rough track which left even the Nepalies breathless. Oh and now they tell us Deralie means high pass. We spent the night in a lodge which was very basic, perched on the pass.




And when I say basic I mean basic.It looks ok in this picture, and the view from my windows was great. But....


 I had put out my vitamins and medicine for the morning on top of a snap lock bag. When I returned to the room a movement caught my eye, but I didn't really pay attention, just sorted and packed my day pack for tomorrow  Then I went, oh oh, I had better check those tablets, and sure enough, somewhere in Nepal, there is a rat with good knees ( from the glucosamine he nibbled on), and no infection ( cause he had some antibiotic as well!). Yikes!!! I knew all the lodges were full so I just put all my gear into my big pack and a beanie on and hoped for the best.

And this is a shot of the toilet which is typical of all tea house toilets. Thank God I had practised squatting!

No comments:

Post a Comment