Thursday, October 25, 2012

Day 7 - Himalaya to Macchupuchare Base Camp


Very cold start to the day ( the down jackets were out!), but as we walked and the sun crept down  the valley it was a slow striptease.




The light in the valley was bright and crystal clear, and we had moved to an alpine environment with less vegetation.



Numerous waterfalls, each seeming more special than the last, birch trees, views of Fishtail ( Macchupuchare) on our right were days highlights.



Saru, our female guide, is about 28 and is one of a 4 women team who last year became the first Nepali women to climb Annapurna 4. It took 35 days and they all survived being caught in an avalanche on the way down!



My own personal doctor prescribed altitude sickness tablets so I started on them, with the resultant tingly fingers. This on top of Imodium, Ibuprofen and Panadol, my poor liver! ( or is it kidneys?) Im still existing on mint tea with sugar in my electrolyte solution, and boiled rice with soup broth for meals. This was my worst day on the trek, thank God for Moosies support!

 

It was a short day ( 4 hrs) and we were at MBC! Yeah, I feel like an adventurer ( albeit one with really bad diarrhea!).




Fishtail is the one mountain in the Annapurna set of Hinmals that no one is allowed to climb.


After lunch we went on a wild acclimatization walk, along a steep lip of land behind the Camp, with a sheer drop down to glacial scree of at least 100 m, yikes!! That's our camp way below, and Lila, the porter who carried my pack most of the time.


All the people from hilly lands had no trouble with heights at all



Vegies even here, with the tin to shied them from wind and snow.


Overflow accomodation! It gets covered with hide and has a fire pit in the centre.



And we were short of room so our porters were in tents ( and they have only a blanket, no down sleeping bag).



We had five in our room, and after falling into a deep sleep I suddenly woke in a panic, feeling like I was drowning, I think that I must have been so exhausted that I was shallow breathing and then at this altitude ( 3900 m) i had not enough oxygen. So an hour of deep yoga breathing and I was good! Hope its not a sign of things to come


No comments:

Post a Comment