Thursday, September 2, 2010

Alice in Wonderland

Had a good night in Nuuk, then early flight to Reykjavik, all on time to!

Flew out over the amazing ice cap, but not to much of a view as very foggy ( so sorry no photos). Sat next to a nice little man ( yes Sharon, about your height) who was wear the most beautiful clothes, Ralph Lauren, apricot pants and a striped shirt, lovely moccasins. He worked for Government in Washington DC, so we talked about renewable energy ( he works in this area), Obama, indigenous politics, oh and reading! He was reading Alice in Wonderland, so I told him how I was desperate for a book in English. We had a big yarn about how some of the best books are children's books, especially when read as an adult.

The flight ended, and as we were on the standing bu to the airport he came pushing through to me, clutching Alice, and said I'd like you to have this!  What a lovely random act of kindness!!

It was actually really nice arriving somewhere that I knew the system, very relaxing.
So now I'm at the Reykjavik campsite, where we has the first showing of the Northern Lights, reading Alice in Wonderland. Maybe that's a metaphor for my trip!! The lights were only little streaks of green, like the sky was just starting to melt ( not as good as the ones we saw in Canada Tom Kate and Jode!). But apparently this is the start of the time when they are really good, so here's hoping!

Will have a few quiet days here getting ready for my guided hike, which starts really early Monday. I'm getting nervous, as I haven't had any group activities, and I imaging everyone to be really fit and outdoorsy! ( I know the reality is if they were that good they wouldn't be going on a guided hike, but still I'm nervous!)

Going to the hot springs latter today, so you may not hear from me again as I do love a hot bath!!

No comments:

Post a Comment