Thursday, September 16, 2010

vik to skaftafell

Had a good night in my cosy cabin, awoke to the sight of the basalt columns out my window ( this is what Vik is famous for).



Drove east along the coast through amazing dust storms, sort of makes you feel like you are driving home in summer, but there are glaciers!! I think its worse at the moment with all the ash about.

Then suddenly you are on this moon scape, all big black lava lumps. This is the stuff which washes out from underr Myrdalssandur glacier.


Then we started to see the mountains of Skaftafell ( we being me and the two German kids that I gave a lift to 2 days before...its a small country!)

This is Iceland's largest national park, and is absolutely beautiful


Its hard to keep your eyes on the road, what with the scenery, and the amazing farm buildings

 So this is where I set up camp
I had time for a short hike, so went to the front of one of the glaciers, Skaftafellsjokull

 It sits under the towering Hafrafell

The wind off the glacier was so cold that my head ached, and I think it interfered with my photographic ability (lol) ( or maybe the Camera just auto selected the best view!)


So tried again

Hoping for a nice big hike tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment