Saturday, September 4, 2010

shopping in Reyjkavik

Had a great day shopping today,  found some of my favourites, such as the Red Cross Op shop

I had to resist buying myself Icelandic gumboots for a dollar, ( 100 Krona), as I don't know how I'd get them home.

And found a cool cafe named after Jodes cat, Loki



This was right near the famous Haligrimakirja  (halgrims Chruch) which is a magnificent building high on the hill with views all over the city.



Once I finished shopping I walked along the harbour and found this cool sculpture of a viking ship






Many of the houses are of corrugated iron, they make the frame out of driftwood and then cover in iron. Iceland has few trees, so this wood that has floated across from other countries! 


They are very environmentally conscious here, and are having a big debate about industry and their use of natural resource,s vs conservation.

Bought myself a new beanie



But still need to do some work on my camera skills

Finished the day off with a massage at the Spa next to the hot pools ( I missed my Greenland one due to my flight delay). Ori, my masseuse, didn't speak a word of English, which was funny, but I didn't care. It was lovely, after all my hiking and tent sleeping. The spa also has this massive area of Saunas, ( about 12 different types) hot tubs, and relaxation rooms, all with hot water and deck chairs and dim lights, you are encouraged to spend at least an hour there before and after your massage. I like this hot tub culture, and am getting used to the nudity thing!!!

And right next door Iceland played Norway in the soccer ( Iceland lost!), but Tom you would have loved to be there, all the chanting and singing was great!

So off to the famous Kolaportia Flea Markets tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment