Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Road Trip Iceland - Skogar ( the g is silent)

Have headed off from Reykjavik in my snazzy little Yarris ( its white Tom, so Kate is still the cool one!!). Did a grocery shop, and was set to get going. Drove about an hour east, with lovely ocean on my right and small mountains on my left. The landforms are quiet strange, like the buttes in the US but covered in moss (I have been this way before going to the hike).



Stopped and picked up two hikers, their packs were way to big for them to be cereal (ha ha) killers, they were German uni students, going to the same campsite as me. Put up my tent in the rain, but was glad to have space to myself. Then just on dark two Israeli guys showed up, pitched their tent right next to mine, and talked for hours ( for Gods sake, I was the only tent there, I think they were afraid of the dark!!) This is the view from my tent in the morning.



Woke to a fine but cold and windy morning and was hiking by 7 am, very glad of my North Face down jacket!. Did a great but hard 15 km round trip hike, it rises 300m in the first half a km, and goes up to 900m, so my legs are very tired now.



I walked along the river, and now have so many beautiful waterfall shots that I will be able to cure any ones insomnia.



The track goes between 2 glaciers, so by 9 am it was freezing, about 2 degrees I think. But the views were magic, and I was happy that I successfully did it on my own.



And the fresh snow overnight had covered some of the ash on the glacier so it was looking pretty...



I had tired legs by the end of the day..

And even moosey needed a rest ( these are the cairns that mark the track)

Then to the Skogar Heritage Museum, which is a little town of transported really buildings from the area to show how people lived. My god they are a hardy bunch!!




The farmers are all madly making hay and silage at the moment. When you see the little farms nestled at the bottom of a glacier you can understand why. These farms were all evacuated with the Eyjafjaliajokull eruption, so they are in a mad scramble to get organised before winter.

 
So tonight Ive rented a cabin at a place called Vik as I'm so buggered, and its a gale force wind warning for the area. First night in my own room since greenland.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment