Friday, September 17, 2010

My Birthday - The Eastern Fjords

Had a lovely sleep at Hotel Framtik and woke early, all excited to finally open my parcel. So at 5 30 am I sat in bed and read the wonderful journal that Katie had organised. What a brilliant idea, it was the perfect gift, and I  laughed and laughed at some of the pictures!!
Thanks to everyone who put stuff in it. It really made my day, and I did read it more than once!!

Headed off early, this was the view in Djupivogur where I had stayed. It is getting really cold now ( 1 degree as the sun came up), so lots of car window photos!

The eastern fjords are a bit like deliverance country. Each fjord is 15 to 29 km deep and has a little village somewhere in it, so lots of kooky characters. This is a gallery I passed, I think they are whale skeletons at the gates....

Luckily I'm travelling on Highway One ( or the Ring Road as they call it), so I'm cruising...Ha Ha..you need to be really careful as it turns to gravel quiet often..

Its really lovely, you drive in these deep valleys..

Then out onto tiny headlands where they cultivate and graze the narrow strip between mountain and ocean. The surf was wild so really pretty to drive by..

Stopped at Cafe Margret

The rock formations in the fjords are amazing and remind me of Inca temples


And its reindeer country so I kept my eyes peeled, but no luck..

After a while its Fjord, Fjord and more fucking Fjords, so I took a short cut ( nice little 6km tunnel, a bit freaky)

Lunch at the Nimbin style town of Seydisfjodur, which is tucked in a really deep valley, they get 2 meters of snow in winter..

Its full of colourful houses ( I'm thinking of calling my trip Colourful Weatherboards of the World) and also has lots of public art..

Then up to Eglisstadir, where I stayed on the third floor of a lovely guesthouse on a working dairy farm, in a a real bed, and had dinner out ( baked salmon, and chocolate cake)!!

Its on the shore of a lake that is supposed to have a monster in it!! The room keys are unique ( reindeer horn)..

 So had a really nice day, thought lots of all my family and friends back home.

 Heading off to Northern Iceland now ( I've driven the Yarris over a quarter of the way around the island on one tank of petrol!).

No comments:

Post a Comment