Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hiking the Skaftafellheidi loop ( on my last day of being 48)

Had a fantastic sleep, apart from the wind which kept rustling the tent and made me think something was stealing stuff ( even though they have no possums or anything like that!). Woke to a magic day....

Was off by 8 30, and took all my warm gear after being so cold yesterday ( this turned out to be a mistake as it got really warm!)
 I was the only one out and this would continue for most of the day

The view immediately got magic

 
First stop was Svardifoss, a really famous waterfall because of the black basalt columns around it. They are so sharp edged that it almost looks unreal



I was hiking on a big tongue of land, with Morsardular glacier to the west


 
And Skaftafellsjokull glacier to the east, with Mount Hafrafell behind it. 


Had second breakfast about half way up ( the hike is 17 km with a climb of 900m)


The mountains kept changing as I climbed (I can see why Lonely Planet describe this as a hikers dream)



It was a glorious day, I was alone, and yes the Sound Of Music soundtrack did escape from my lips more than one ( climb every mountain, high on a hill stood a lonely goatherd ( compete with yodelling!)). oh, what a day


The trail was clearly marked, but at times I did wonder if I would ever stop climbing!!


 

Being above the glaciers was magnificentt, and the day so warm that I was able to just sit and take in the view ( I'm sure with the time difference this was actually my birthday day!!)



Moosey of course was along for the ride, Now for those of you who think I've gone batty with a soft toy friend Moosey has been around for ages and has his photo in many exotic locations ( so I've been batty for a long time!)


Finished the 17 km with very tired legs, packed up and headed east. Picked up another hitchhiker, a young French guy who i had seen earlier in the week hiking at Skogar. We stopped at Jokulsarlon, a famous lake used in James Bond movies and many commercials

Dropped my passenger off at Hofn, a big town of1660 people. these hitch hikers have given me a lesson in boundaries, and now I know you have to specify the drop off town before you let them in the car, or they want to travel all the way with you.

Drove on for about another hour, past massive numbers of birds in the ocean, in and out of fjords, to the tiny fishing village ( Population 360) of Djupivogur.


Tomorrow is my Birthday, I can't wait to open the parcel that Katie gave me at the airport and Ive resisted opening all this time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment