Monday, September 20, 2010

Myvatn

Spent a peaceful night at this lovely lake Myvatn



Woke to a wonderful but cold morning. The upside of the cold is that this area is famous for midges, and you have to wear head nets in summer, but not a buggy insight for me! Just heaps of amazing landscapes! Craters....



Lovely mountains, with more snow each day..


It is right on the Mid Atlantic Ridge and has heaps of geothermal activity.....



And amazing little islands of lava in the lake. I don't think Ive ever been anywhere so quiet and still ( it was 8 30 am and no one in Iceland gets going till 10, and it was zero degrees, so everyone is tucking down for winter)


And I even found I little patch of forest ( birch and spruce) at a place called Hofdi. I hadn't realised how much I missed being surrounded by trees until I was here!

I spent ages wandering along paths which come out on the edge of ponds so clear that you can see to the bottom, and with crazy lava pillars and lots of birds


Beautiful drive to Akureyri, where I'm staying in the one spot for a few days. This will be good as Ive felt a bit homesick since my Birthday and will enjoy not having to organise a new lot of accommodation each day. Akureyri is the biggest town outside of Reykjavik, so I can do coffee and book stores and some shopping!

Even bought myself a new book ( Alice in Wonderland is over), its the new Jodie Picoult, so I may just lay in bed and read for a couple of days ( anyone who has read a Jodi Picoult book will get this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment