Thursday, September 23, 2010

Seals and driving west to Hommavik

Headed off on a misty morning, but you just have to love the views..

 They get really battered by weather here, and you see lots of these little signal houses

My goal this morning was to try and sea some seals on the Vatnes peninsula, so i turned off the main road and headed around this loop of about 70 km. And in the middle of nowhere I get flagged down by what I thought was people broken down. But no, it was a hitch hiker wanting a new lift, a Swiss woman. I don't know how they get the courage, this was a gravel road, way off the main drag!!

Headed off and we found the seal colony, with the western Fjords in the background. It was absolutely freezing, and they are lolling about, in and out of the water, like its a day at Bondi!!


My next big decision was if I had time to drive the loop around the Western Fjords, its meant to be the most spectacular scenery, but long ins and outs of deep fjords, on gravel roads. I decided yes, so headed north, after driving south for miles to get around another inlet!! The tantalising views of the l mountains were nice, they always make me feel like I'm going on an adventure..Oh that's right, I am on an adventure!!!!

Every beach is littered in driftwood, which they collect and use for their buildings ( no trees here!)

 So I drove as far north as I could, almost until the roads run out, where it turns into Hornstrandir, the place with no roads. Turned west, and stayed in a nice guesthouse at Homavik ( most towns now only have one place to stay open). I had this all to myself, a lovely two story place

 With lovely whitewash floors, white walls, and a really nice landlady who has lived here all her life

And just across the road was the black building with a turf roof, the Museum of Witchcraft and Sorcery! Bugger it was shut, but its all about how they burned 17 9mainly women) at the stake in the Westfjords for witchcraft in the 17th century. Go the Christians, these people were just following old Viking practices.



So that's where I'm headed to today!!! I have been called a witch more than once in my life so I should be right at home..

No comments:

Post a Comment