Sunday, September 19, 2010

Driving through the North

Left my cute and cosy cowshed guest house on a very cold morning. Turns out 1 degree would be he max temp for the day!!


Initially there are some farms, dwarfed by mountains and with the old style buildings..



And  you see lots of birds, beautiful lakes and nice vegetation
The Ring Road essential cuts off the two sharp corners in the east and west, making a smoother loop through the edge of what they call The Interior. I didn't go right up to the north east as I will be exploring the west. So I took the Interior route. This is where the reindeer live!!!





 Boy was I glad I was in the car. It s beautiful but bleak!


The temperature gauge was falling to about minus 5, and a light snow was falling. I was glad to see a Council truck come through, as it would be  a hell of a place to break down. Obviously it makes everyone a bit spooked, cause I came upon this great patch of stone men ( Innukshuks they are called in Alaska).

Came out the other end and down to the Jokulsargljufur National Park, where an enormous canyon 25  long runs north south. The legend is that the Norse God Odin once let his horses foot touch the ground and this is the result! It has a massive waterfall Detifoss, which is amazing in its power.

I had been going to hike the rim of the canyon, but this is the first thing that I got to and thought, Oh that's not so great! I think the Canyon on my trek was so amazing that I was expecting something like that. Or maybe I just had driving fever, cause I got in the Yarris and kept going ( after making a quick cup of tea and doing a short walk).


 

 As I headed off a hire car came along, with arms flailing out the windows. My two German Hitchhikers in the back!! We had a big yarn (like old friends..haha) and they had seen me with the French guy ( more laughs).

Drive to the coast, and it took away all my jaded feelings!! This is 65 degrees north, and very beautiful..

You weave along the coast line with bright blue ocean and snow capped mountains, these is where lots of whales live. Had to make a call to Tom, so this was the view as we chatted, quiet surreal....

Spent some time in Husvik, which is famous for whale watching and herring fishing

I was going to drive the next headland, but bugger, no roads!!! Oh and there is another famous thing in Husavik, which I didn't go to, just took a furtive photo from the car. A Phallic museum. Yep those Viking descendants must have had one hell of a brainstorming session at their community business planning workshop!!! Yes that is a big blue topped wooden penis, and in the background 3 artfully arranged stones..words fail me!

Then drove half an hour south to Lake Myvatn, where I had to spend a fortune on accomodation as all the campsites and cabins were closed. But at least my room had a nice view

Hiking and hot springs in the light snow tommorow.

No comments:

Post a Comment