Friday, September 3, 2010

Resting in reyjkavik

Having a resting time, shopping, getting both gear for the hike, and presents (Oh how i love buying presents!!!)s. I know I'm going to have excess baggage on the way home ( and that's apart from the emotional baggage that I carry everywhere with me).

Had fun at the camping store yesterday, and managed to not get run down by any vikings on tractors on the way. I'm just an illiterate Aussie, so every time I see this sign (which is I think about not taking machinery on Freeways, its says Viccum Dogm ) I read it as "You Viking Dogs, don't bring you tractors on this road").



The language is amazingly hard for me to make any sense of, so I'm having a lot of silly laughs. Such as this book ( I still have trouble finding any in English), so Sue lucky you recommended I get this in New York.



And guess what was right next to the camping store? Crossfit Reyjkavik!! So of course I rocked in and introduced myself, bought a shirt, and got invited to come and work out any time.



Instead of this horrifying thought ( as I'm a little unfit to anything but walking!) I went to the thermal baths. That was after stocking up at the supermarket, I love it that they have cottage cheese here, and wonderful yogurt called Skyr, which I'm quickly becoming addicted to!

The campground is located in the big recreational precinct, with sports fields ( they are all soccer mad Tom), botanic gardens ( with sculpture of course), zoo and heaps of green space. I love the feel of it, and they have great sculptures dotted throughout. And of course the hot springs complex.



They are awesome! It all begins with mass nudity, you go into the change rooms, get naked and lock all your clothes in a locker, carry your swimmers and keys to the massive shower room, where everyone showers and chats. Then you get your swimmers on ( I got the feeling this was not the way it always was, these Scandinavian types!!!) and then out into the very warm pools. They have all different temperatures, and big rocks which are warmer that you can put your feet on. SO I popped into my Rob Zombie biniki top and leapt in ( note no cameras are allowed, so Ive inserted a photo of a nude woman in sculpture from the gardens as a substitute!)



I was in heaven, and sat for 1.5 hrs chatting to an Aussie couple from Kangaroo Island who have sold everything and come to London for 2 years, he does casual teaching, and they travel. They gave me heaps of tips, and it was good to talk to some people in Aussie.

Have had some of the famous Icelandic wind, I can now see why everyone has every part of their tent tied down. Ive bought extra rope and pegs, so well see how I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment