Saturday, September 11, 2010

Laugavegurinn hike

Ive been off line for the past week as Ive been doing my big guided trek, along what is called the Laugavegurinn. I chose a guided hike as I wasn't sure it was safe for me to do a multi day hike on my own, and as it turns out I was right!!!

Our guide was Inga ( in the orange jacket), a forty something Icelandic mother of two who has spent much time in Greenland doing scientific expeditions  on the ice cap. She was amazingly capable, and knowledgeable, so I'm sold on the idea of a guide. We also had Thor, a local farmer ( he reminded me of you Keith) who was lovely and met us each night with food and gear at the huts. I had lots of funny conversations with him, as his English was poor and my Icelandic pathetic!!


Our group it turned out were mainly first time group hikers, so we were all nervous. We has Americans, English, Scottish, Austrian, German, and Dutch people, ranging in age from 26 to 68, so a very diverse group.  I had hardly slept the night before, thinking what have I done, so was glad to finally get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment