Monday, September 27, 2010

Rainy Snaefellsness

Well the terrible weather forecasts turned out to be true, and my planned weekend of hiking did not eventuate. I could not see more than a few meters in front of myself, so was not game to venture into any mountain tracks.










Came to the first beach to find that was covered in iron from a ship wreck in 1948


It makes you worried when you start a walk, the ocean is pounding, and you see a life vest on the trail




But I had read about some Lifting Stones on a beach, and had to see them. It was only about a km in, but i had to deck out in full gear, and it was raining and blowing hard.


Lifting stones were used to see if you were strong enough to go to sea. 23kg was Bungler (Amlodi), 54 kg was Weak( halfdraettingur), 100kg was Half Strong (Halfsterker) and the biggest, 154 kg, Fully Strong ( Fullsterker). Ive included the Interp Board picture as I could not find the real things!! But had a nice adventure in the trying!!                                                 
 This is a typical Icelandic Beach! Dont you just feel like sunbathing?

And I love that people are always making things from the stones..
 Anyway I was on a missing, so I trudged on over lava, this trail is high up on the cliff edge, and it was blowing a gale, so the photos are a bit dodgy..
 Crested the headland and saw this cute little survival hut, and a beautiful heart shaped lake, surrounded by moss
 Inside the hut was beds, jackets, and a medicine cabinet, plus this grafitti (Im stranded, no your stranded). I was getting the feeling that this was a very rugged place, what with a lfe bouy in once cove and this hut in the next.
 Could not find the lifting stones, but found somen nice Inukshuk's instead..
 And had somewild views, god knows how people go out to fish here, but they do


After being blown around for about 2 hours I got back in the car, had a nice hot chocky, and headed for my next hostel at Borgarnes. And yes i found a nice dry bed, and some more great statues..



No comments:

Post a Comment