Saturday, August 21, 2010

Flying to Greenland, and Nuuk wins the soccer!!

I am in a hotel room in Nuuk, Greenlands tiny capital, after the most spectacular 3 hour flight. Why am I in a hotel room, because bugger me Nuuk won the soccer grandfinal tonight, as we landed, and I decided it was not safe to camp with pissed soccer fans driving everywhere, honking horns and chanting!! Soccer sure is the world game Tom!!

Flew for the first hour over water, then got to see mountains with snow on top emerge.

I thought the sea was rough, with lots of icecaps , till I realised they were Icebergs!!!

Then flew for 1/5 hours over just ice and snow, absolutly amazing! Like the biggest pavlova top that you've ever seen, with the most bright blue frozen lakes from time to time.

I was sitting next to a nice young guy who is studying in Nuuk to be a policeman. He thought it was funny me clicking photos out the window ( at least I think he did as he spoke Danish, with some broken English, and me I just speak Australian! ) Yep thats right, I'm now in a country with another language, new money, and new phone system, as Greenland is a Danish colony.

Nuuk came into view with its beautiful fjords, and massive cliffs.

The town is quiet cute ( apart from the pissed soccer players). Hike tommorow, can't wait!!

And this is the view from my hotel window.  Yet again those bright colours!

So where exaclty am I? If Greenland is a long triangle I've flow across to the eastern side about one third of the way up from the bottom, and I'm still below the Artic Circle. I'm moving between stark terror and giggling excitement, so its all good, if a little exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment