Friday, August 27, 2010

Hiking North to Rodebay

Headed on my hike today up the coast, north of the town. You can hike all the way up, 22 km, and catch a ferry back, but I’m in the difficult situation of hiking on my own and not knowing how well the trail is marked or how long it will take, so my plan is always to hike out as far as I feel safe, or till lunch, then return.



The trail passed the old town cemetery, which I’m fascinated with. They are in the most magnificent locations ( yes icefjord backdrop always) and have lovely big white wooden crosses. No names, because Greenlanders believe in Name Souls, so that when someone dies they recycle the name as quickly as possible and the soul then acts as a guardian to the newborn.



This hike was once again through the most beautiful orange, red and yellow foliage, over gray rocks, with the coast and its icebergs on my left. I saw no other hikers, and had a fabulous day.



Part of where I walked is the sledge trail in winter, but it just cuts across the water when it freezes. They still use sledges Ben when they hunt, or catch seals. It’s much cheaper, traditional, and better for hunting than a snowmobile.



Oh and I did mention, in blog or email, that I had been blessed by great weather. Well once again this was lovely cool and great for walking.



Came upon this amazing little pink house about 6 km from town, no road, you would just walk, or ski, or take your boat. Of course I made up a million stories about it in my head, that if I went over that someone would say “What took you so long?” and give me a cup of tea, or what if it was my house, and what would it be like here in winter when even the ocean is frozen.



Well I hiked till 1 pm, stopped at my planned saddle, between two higher peaks. I’m taking my topo map and trying to read it as I go, but I’m still not ready for no trail.



What I have with me ismy little Salomon pack which has turned out to be day hikes. I try to take apples, cheese etc, not cold meat like I would normally as the dogs like it!!!

Should have concentrated more in that Nav class Lindy!! Looking forward I could see where the hike went on, right to the peninsula on the end, and was tempted to keep going. I have these two warring voices in my head. One is “You can do it, you are just making excuses for yourself” and the other is “Imagine if I had to get rescued, everyone would be so mad at me!!!”.



So I stuck with the plan and turned for home, very happy with how serene it was. About 2 minutes latter I was in full wet weather gear, and walked to 7 km home in pelting rain! Boy does it know how to send down cold, icy rain in Greenland!! But I hear its doing the same at Greghamstown! Arrived home safe and dry, very glad I had packed for bad weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment