Monday, August 30, 2010

Last day in Ilulisat, travel back south to Nuuk

My last day in Ilulissat was a rainy cold one, so I spent it resting and at the Art Gallery. Lots of really nice paintings, it’s amazing how little the place has changed in hundreds of years. And lots of carvings from walrus and whale teeth.

Had a good talk to a local guy who explained all the small ice in the water, that when it rains and is rough it breaks up the smaller icebergs into slushies! They are all worried that the size of the icebergs is getting smaller and smaller, everyone is very environmentally aware here. You have to pay for plastic bags, and most people just put their grocery shopping into back packs.

New big yacht in the harbour today, its owned by whoever owns Chelsea Football club ( hey Tom!). Either he is Russian, has sailed from Russia, or is going to Russia, I’m not sure as my Greenlandic hasn’t really taken off!!

Discovered yet another culinary delight at the supermarket ( where all good budget travellers hang out on wet days, non budget ones having TV’s in their room!). It’s called “Cowboy Toast”, and is frozen ready-made toasted sandwiches!!!! What a concept, who needs to go to all the hassle of getting out the bread, ham, cheese and even tomato, of buttering the bread, no, if you’re a cowboy you just grab some Cowboy Toast from the freezer and wack it straight onto the toaster grill!!

Am now flying back to Nuuk for a couple of nights. This will be good as when I was there before everything was closed (as it was the weekend). Apparently you can often see whales from the University, so I hope I get to spot some. I’ve been surprised at the lack of animals, apart from lots of birds. I guess the hunting and the dogs keep anything else away. Time to start buying some gifts, but that’s hard as whatever I buy I have to carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment