Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The travel Gods smile, Hotel Artic Ilulisat

Lonely Planet lists Hotel Arctic as top end, with rooms from 1200 danish Krona ( about $300) a night, and says" this swish hotels has some of the most stylish rooms in Greenland" and its resteraunt "Ulo" offers innovative cuisine with wonderful views over the ice filled bay". And guess what, I stayed here for a night! And guesss what else, Air Greenland is paying!! This is the view from my room...



Spent all day from 10 at the airport, flight was due out at 12, they cancelled it at 3:30 and put all non locals up in various hotels. And I absolutely arsed it in to stay at Hotel Arctic. I had originally planned to maybe spend a night here if my money was going OK, but after the Nuuk soccer fiasco I decided not to.

It is soooo luxuiious after camping, and a week in a hostel ( which was good for a hostel, but still!) I'm especially drooling over the bed, as it ain't no Thermarest, or two inch thick foam matresses on plywood. And not sleeping in my sleeping bag means I can stretch my legs out, woohooo!!!



There are even cool Igloo style rooms right on the point.



I'm laughing myself silly because I spent the hours at the airport listinging to podcasts about being mindful and enjoying each moment as it comes, not living in the past or the future. I'm sure going to enjoy this moment!!!!

Had dinner last night, consisting of the flesh of every Arctic creature you can think of, and i tried it all. Whale, Musk Ox, Salmon, Mackeral, fish eggs in sushi, crab, and heaps of other fishy creature based dishes. I did feel a little throat tingly when I got back to the room, and though Holy Shit, now is not the time to develop a seafood allergy!! But it was probably just to much food.

Chatted to an Aussie girl on a Nordic Travel tour who was finding it really boring, and asked had I seen any icebergs falling off the glacier? I think she thought it would be like a David A documentary where the ice crashes and roars constantly.

So back to the airport for take 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment