Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hiking to the front of the Icefjord, iluisat

Today began very foggy, so I had a little wander around the harbour. Every family in Ilulisat has at least one boat, so it’s really busy, plus there are passenger and tourist ferries, and Arctic exploration vessels as well. Oh and of course, icebergs



As I wandered around the harbour front I got followed by 3 young sledge dogs, they must have been nearly 6 months old (which is when they have to get tied up). I’m quiet afraid of dogs that I don’t know, and I’m sure dogs know that. Anyway all good, but I must say that it adds to the anxiety level somewhat!! All the places I have been to have the loveliest Churches, all in beautiful locations, this is the view from the Zionist church....



Then off on my hike, past a residential part of town, all the houses are colourful, but the newer style is now apartment blocks. As its summer everyone flat out repainting, and redoing the insulation rubber on the roofs, as well as carpentry work. It’s interesting, when school and daycare close it’s the Dads who pick up the kids. And you see lots of old people walking around, always with a younger person helping them. The feeling here is very much that everyone in the community contributes, and they seem to take great care of old and young.



My hike today was only a few kms, and took only a couple of hours walking. It allowed me to see the Icefjord from the front, where the trapped icebergs come off into the ocean






The grounds you walk over is just rough stone, and very pretty sub arctic plants, but it’s easy to lose your bearing’s. Luckily the local hiking club has marked heaps of trails. You get really close to the ice, and it is awesome. You can’t help but just sit and look at it, heaps of different colours and shapes, and constant creaking and cracking.




It’s humbling to think of how old it is and how far these actual chunks have come, slowly, down the fjord as part of the glacier. I’m also finding it amazingly peaceful, and have no inclination at the moment to partake in any of the numerous group tours you can go on. Though I will probably go on a ferry ride before I leave.




I’m also really enjoying the hiking here, and there are more trails, from 1 km to 30km, than you could possibly walk. Greenland is looking like the only country in the world where I will have eaten a packed of Peanut M & M’s everyday that I was there. Thank God they have the universal packaging so that I can always find them! And thanks to Ariel and Brig I was able to buy some lovely bacon for brecky.




The enormity of the whole thing is hard to fit in a picture, and hard to get into your mind. I have great admiration for the local people who live here, as it’s such a cold environment even in summer. But I must say everyone still wears North Face and Adidas, Salomon and Columbia gear, it’s hard to find local stuff. That’s sort of nice though, as nothing is written in English (imagine me, I can’t even read the tourist brochures!!)

2 comments:

  1. Margie, it just looks glorious. Really love the 2nd or 3rd photo up, with the fjord & icebergs rising above the hillock you are standing on. Majestic & awe inspiring ! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Four photos up, actually ! Makes me want to go !!!! :)

    ReplyDelete