Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Toronto, and the Faulty Towers of Hostels

Well, here I am, a full 24 hours in Toronto and so much to tell, when really I've had a nothing day.

Got up early and walked for hours. Everywhere had lovely fresh fruit and vegies, and all in these cute balsa wood tubs ( not plastic, more about that latter).


Its a really cosmopolitan city, and I walked through Little Portugal, Little Italy, Chinatown. Lots of old men sit outside Sports Bars in the morning and chat (Tom I think you would love it here!).

They also have lots of public art ( which I love!), this one outside the Art Gallery was massive.



But this one was my favourite, the Lucky Moose Food Mart..



Found my way to the giant workwear place, so Jode now has new Cahharts heading home!!!

Lunch was a wonderful salmon salad, in the hidden underground city they have here. You see the winters are so bad that they have built what they call "The Underground Pathways" which is a city under the city over 8 by 8 big city blocks. Its a bit creepy, no windows, so you think you are in a futuristic film. Everyone down there is dressed very "Sex in the City", except for the few who have never had sex in the city, or the country, and yes of course they sleep in their clothes, that's why everything is lycra!!  Anyway my lunch was so good ( all the food is organic and fresh in the Future City) that a SITC lady came and spent 10 minutes asking me about it!!

Then it was onto the lovely Mountain Equipment Coop, where you just feel sporty going in the door. It has massive sections for any type of activity, so Katie now has 2 pair of kayaking gloves heading home ( I'm sure they will make all the difference in the 100kms).

Everyone rides bikes here (even the meals on wheels people), and has their dogs with them. Which has made me want to have my bike here and get a dog!! I kept thinking all day how ordinary the people riding bikes look,  just in street clothes, no lycra....and then I realised NO HELMET. How crazy!


And I found out why they use the cute wooden tubs for vegies...cause all the plastic ones are on bikes as racks...

Then, on my way home, I spotted not only a crossfit gym, but the Gladstone Cafe. Now I saw the Cafe first, and would have gone into the gym, but, the cafe served...Poutine! Yes that delicious mix of chips, gravy and cheese curds. So in honour of all of you who have had it, I had some!!!


Then finally home, to my hostel! I am the only guest, as the lady who runs it is just getting it started. She has fluffy robes and towels on the bed, cooked me breakfast, and speaks in an Italian accent about food all the time. She has travelled a lot and wants a place that she would have liked to stay in. Lots and lots of girly stuff in the bathroom. But, all this concern and fussing, its giving me the shits!! (OK pause here for a moment,  I know there is a life lesson wrapped up in that for me!). I came back today and she has come in and hung all my things that I had draped on my bed in the Wardrobe. Now these were garments that I have worn and was giving some time before I decided "Washing Bag" or "Inside out fowards, inside out backwards....". Not what you want someone else playing around with. 

Last night I felt really alone, cause I just wanted someone that I could come into the room with, shut the door, and collapse in naughty giggles!!

I think I like Toronto...

1 comment: