Sunday, August 22, 2010

hiking aroun Little Marlene, Nuuk, and 'are we there yet?'

I'm laying on my hotel bed, rubbing very tired feet, after a hike that was longer than expected.

The day started really foggy, and I was despondent! No hiking, and its Sunday, so no shops open!  I had a walk around. Its really very pretty, colourful wooden buildings,

 The harbour


And Beth and Lucy, guess what I found?  Santas Post Office!  This is a picture of it..



I was so sad about no hike, that I ate all my peanut M and M's while reading, then the sun came out! 

 So off I went. As its Sunday no buses, so I had to walk about an hour (4km) to get to the start.


It was a beatiful sunny day, about 10 degrees
Headed up past a lake




over hill and dale (though they wouldn't call it a dale, they'd call it something with way more constenants in it than dale).


past more lovely lakes and streams


then swung east and got views of the harbour with icebergs.


The whole hike was about 5 hours, and yes I did start to get a bit worried as I crested ridge after ridge. Jode Helen and Lindy you've walked with me so you know how good I am at going off the track.  But then ran into people picking blueberries in the wild. Heaps of people!

So fly north to Ilulissat tommorow, above the Artic Circle, in an area known as Disko Bay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment