Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Flying to ilulisat, I'm above the arctic circle

Got up really early for my flight, then spent the morning waiting as the plane was delayed by bad weather. Not so bad, except that their were lots of flights, and all the announcements were in 2 languages, Greenlandic and Danish! I couldn't understand a word! Ariel, can you get mum to look up some danish words and email them to me? I'd really like to know how to say ham and bacon!

Then when we were in the air it was magnificent, mountains, fjords, and the sea with icebergs


and glaciers...

After about one and a half hours, we crossed the Arctic Circle and came to the icefjord at Ilulisat. I've come here because the area is UNESCO world heritage listed, had been an inuit settlement since 2000 BC and has lots of hiking and other boat trips you can do. The Icefjord is amazing..

All these little chunks of ice breaking off are massive icebergs. You are not allowed to walk on any of the beaches when hiking because if an iceberg rolls it causes a tidal surge and people ( tourists) get washed away! The icebergs are visible from everyone window, the day care, the hospital where I got this shot with moosie (much to the amusement of a nice nurse going on shift!). Its cold here so I'm wearing my North Face down jacket under my rain jacket, and thermals, so no "oh shes got fat on holidays" emails yet please!

Did my usual walk around town and looked in peoples yards, which is  a favourite passtime. I can imagine the mum saying get those bloody skidoos out from under my feet, or a The Castle scenario of moving the Cortina to get to the Torana..


And what to say about these boats...


And everywhere the sledge dogs..

3,500 dogs and 4,500 people live in Ilulisat. The dogs are in designated areas, and they howl all the time, so its a bit eerie. I didnt camp because of the cold, and also because some of the dogs are wild or bad, and they go through tents looking for food.

Sleeps a bit hard, as the sun rises at 4 and sets at 11, but it never really gets dark properly!!
Some hiking tommorow I hope..

No comments:

Post a Comment