Thursday, August 5, 2010

sightseeing - why does this all look so familiar

Yesterday was the day of sightseeing, as I walked from my hostel on the upper west side all the way down Manhattan to the harbour. I ticked off Central Park, Madison Square Gardens and Times Square. This is where hundreds of people line up to get cheap tickets to Braodway shows ( Gai this place is for you!). And so yes I was singing " on Broadway" in my head as I walked.

Have got the laptop and wifi ( free of course) working, and was able to Skype Tom from a cafe, how cool!

Walking on I felt lucky that I had prebooked my M Piercy writing workshops or I would have been conflicted after I read the sign for the " Free Butt Sex Workshop: this weekend!! Unable to make myself take a photo!.

Then to the world Trade Centre Site, which is now a big construction zone, and a very strange place. It is so tight in the middle of other buildings that you just can't imagine what it was like. But right next to it was this tiny community garden with women laughing and weeding vegies.

I finished with a trip on the Staten Island Ferry and great views of the Statue of Liberty. The whole day felt a bit dejavu as I have seen all these images so many times before. I braved the subway on the way home, and yes i did end up taking an express train to 125th street in Harlem, but got straight back on my right one and was soon back on the upper west side ( damn my thick Aussie accent!).

My observations for the day were that the Nanny is not the only one who talks like that, and that NY is full of dogs and cute kids from Harlem in christian day care groups.

2 comments:

  1. All so familiar. I get that. Weird. Free Butt sex ? No photo ? Laughing & squirming here. How about pretzels & hot dogs ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been wondering about your adventures thus far, and my, you have had a few already! Nothing could deter you from the Marg Piercy writing workshop...not even...gardening :-)

    ReplyDelete