Friday, August 20, 2010

Reyjkavik, Iceland, with no English subtitles!!

Had my Canadian massage in Toronto yesterday ( one per country is the rule), then boarded the plan late (9pm) for an overnight flight. And guess who got the seat in the back row next to the man with a teething 18montth old baby, who was just screaming?? Yep, me!!! But luckily, cause I was being so nice and sympathetic to him I think, the hostie found me a seat miles away with noone next to me!!

Somehow arriving in Iceland has been a shock. I mean everything is in Icelandic, no english anywhere, and its cold ( only 9 degrees but thats cold after New York and Toronto).  The money is also very different (10000 KRN for about $9). So being tired, cold and scared, I've panicked about everything....do I have enough warm clothes, can I buy food in Greenland ( what the???), is my tent good enough, and on it goes.

I caught the bus to the campground, through very pretty grass covered black volcanic rock, and big mountains in the distance.

Put my ten up, went to bed, and woke feeling a lot better!

 Then to Downtown for a look around, its  beautiful city, harbour views,
and a very stylish feel to it, lots of funky architecture. And so clean!!

But as I said, all in Icelandic, I had coffee here...

Luckily Tom has some sort of sixth sense so he Sykped me while I was having my coffee and helped put me back onto a cheery path.

Saw this food sign ( Dad that one is for you!), but didn't try it yet.....

The supermarket was, as you can imagine, fun.  You become very thankful for pictures on labels!!

And so here are Moosie and I on our first day. I guess this campground will become very familiar to me, as I come back here after Greenland. Its cheap ( 2000KRN which is about  $18), and has hundreds of campers from all over the world, so feels very safe. And right next door are some thermal baths, which I will try in the morning when my brave returns.


They are all very nice people, and I think I will have a good time here. Their sense of houmour is a bit like ours..

So sleep here, and fly to Greenland tommorow ( with brave pills!)

1 comment:

  1. Brave pills always work, then you can have your own T Shirt saying: Kiss my arse Greenland. I ate !

    ReplyDelete