Friday, August 13, 2010

hike to bakers brook, gros morne, a moose encounter!

Had a fabulous day today, perfect weather at 19 degrees, great sleep ( till 8 30 am!), then headed off on my first real day hike. It was to a place called Bakers Brook falls, through fir forests and bog land.

I headed off as I always do, a bit nervous, hoping I've remembered everything. It started on board walk, though tunnels of green, really pretty.


Then next minute I sense something to my left as I stride along, and its a moose!! yes a Moose!! Only about 10 feet away. I nearly crapped myself as she looked straight at me. I kept walking, thinking what are you supposed to do, should I take a photo. And then I noticed her calf, ahead of me. So I really got anxious then, but just kept walking past the calf as quick as I could. By the time I felt OK to stop they had gone. So bugger, no picture, but a good omen I think.

The hike was about 10 kms, and everything is green, green, green, surrounded by mountains and ocean.

After the forest, you  then arrived at the falls.

You actually heard them first, they reminded me off all the raging rapids in westerns that people had to canoe over!

 Moosey enjoyed the trip as well,


and we did have a little drama with camera. glad I bought an I Tough!

This is the shot it took when on auto timer it fell off the rail and down to the edge of this river. Yes I'm lucky Ididn't have to dive into the rapids and over the falls to get it back!

I'm here for another day and a half, so will do some more hiking tomorrow I think.

1 comment:

  1. Ok ok ... read the last two entries out of order, so now have the giggles & can't think of something sensible to say. Found myself trying to figure out if your boobs are ok in each shot ! Right I'll try for a more sensible comment further up the page !

    ReplyDelete